Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar Picks Part II

Hollywood loves a sequel, and I'm no exception. At the time I posted my first round of Oscar picks, I said they were likely to change. I just wanted to put my final predictions up today, so I could be on the record for better or worse. Sure, I could back date a post and make it look like I picked 100%, but where would be the fun in that? Anyway, here are my picks for the major categories.

Original Score: Sticking with Atonement.
Cinematography: I want Atonement, but my guess is There Will Be Blood.
Animated Feature: I'll stay with Ratatouille. The arthouse pick is Persepolis, but I really don't think it has a chance.
Original Screenplay: Juno. No doubt.
Adapted Screenplay: This one is really tough. I think they all deserve it. I'm switching from my previous pick to No Country for Old Men. A few thoughts on this category, though. I think Atonement is the source material most likely to have been read by Academy voters. Will that help or hurt it? I think There Will Be Blood is the most different from the source material. I'm a little worried that whatever wins this will not win Best Picture (sort of a consolation prize).
Supporting Actress: Another tough one, but for different reasons. Everybody loves Cate Blanchett, but I'm going with Ruby Dee so the Academy can show some color.
Supporting Actor: Staying with Javier Bardem.
Actress: Another tough one. Originally I had Ellen Page, but I've since seen La Vie en Rose, and Marion Cotillard was incredible. Plus, there's the lifetime achievement factor for Julie Christie. I think I'll stick with Page, but I have no confidence in this one.
Actor: Well, it ain't gonna be Viggo, although I did have good reasons for picking that originally. The smart money seems to be on Daniel Day-Lewis, and who am I to argue.
Director: My original pick for Julien Schnabel for Diving Bell was really just wishful thinking. I gotta go with the Coens for No Country.
Picture: Staying with No Country for Old Men.

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks