Monday, February 10, 2003

Rebel Without a Pause

Hello hello!


Well, I'm finally back in LA and doing my best to catch up on all my e-mail. This really isn't an update so much as a party recap. There's a few of you that are just now getting this e-mail, and are probably wondering what this junk clogging up your mailbox. Well, suffer. You can catch up on the archived updates (if you're that brave) at my website, though I strongly recommend having a lot of time and a lot of beer on hand before you try.


Most importantly, I want to thank everyone for coming out to the party and making it a big success. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate seeing you all coming out and just having a good time. I like to think that it gets bigger and better every year, and so far I have not been disappointed. I really had a good time, and I hope everyone else did as well.


The costumes this year were all truly outstanding. I regret having so few rewards to give to those who put so much effort into it. I'll put what few pictures I have up on my website later today.


I also regret not getting a good picture of myself with everyone in costume, but hey, maybe next time. Speaking of costumes, though, I feel some clarification is in order. I've heard that some people are hesitant to come because it is a costume party. Okay, let me make this clear, a costume is certainly not required. It is far more important for me to see you at all, than see you in costume. Now, that being said, I have to voice my own little vote for dressing up. It's fun! Personally, I think it makes people more casual and sociable, and much easier to strike up conversations with strangers. I mean, who would you rather drink a beer with, some dude, or some dude dressed up like Mork from Ork? If nothing else, you've got a good story for the water cooler at work the next day. Anyway, that's my soapbox, I'll back off. Again, I thought all the costumes this year were really top notch.


Now, will there be a next year? As far as I'm concerned, absolutely. One problem is, my birthday next year is the same day as the Superbowl. Not that I would have the party on that Sunday, but would the Saturday before be out as well? There's no real reason the party has to be on my birthday, in fact I kinda prefer downplaying that aspect of it. Anyway, what do you think? I have a year to plan.


Speaking of planning, I'm already being asked what the theme will be. I had several good suggestions the night of the party, the top five of which were (in no particular order):

James Bond

Comic Books

Cartoons (this one could be combined with comics)

Saturday Night Live (the show, not to be confused with the Fever)

Literary figures (but I'm in Hollywood now, no one reads here)


I think I've chosen, but I'm not certain. It all depends on how good I can make the invitations, of course! Apparently, I really got myself in a bind by doing a good job this year. Here's a little side story for you, just because I know you get disappointed if this e-mail doesn't eat up a lot of your time. I was really proud of the Wonka invitations, and didn't know how I was going to top them the next year. I struggled and struggled, and then finally came up with the Indiana Jones ones. They were great, but still not quite as good I didn't think. This year, I just decided I'd never be able to top the Wonka ones, so I wouldn't even try. I just wanted to do something I thought was cool. Little did I know I had raised the bar yet again. Drat! At this rate, the 10th will have to be a talking hologram.


Lastly, I said in the last update that I wasn't going to send these out as often anymore, and I'm sticking to that. I'd prefer to have quality of quantity, so I'll wait until I really have some good stories to tell.


I'm very excited about getting my ass in gear to do the things I've set out here to do. My birthday is always a time of reflection for me, and this year it totally recharged my batteries in a great way. I want to thank all of you once again for all the generous support and encouragement you have given me. I read a quote the other day from George Sand, "One changes from day to day... every few years one becomes a new being." Here's to becoming something new this year. Take care, everybody.


Greg



Movie Quote Challenge:


Number 1: "Ladies and gentlemen, I can envision a day when the brains of brilliant men can be kept alive in the bodies of dumb people!"


Number 2: "As your mother tells you, and my mother certainly told me, it is important, she always used to say, always to try new things."



Movie Quote Answers:

David Lemley was the first to correctly identify the following movies:


Number 1: The Man with Two Brains, by George Gipe and Steve Martin

Number 2: Hannibal, by David Mamet


Thanks for playing, better luck next time!


Greg

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks