Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Running Year

Well, I finally went for a run this morning after a two-week hiatus. I didn't mean to take such a long break, but the cold as well as being a little under the weather myself kept me away. It felt really good to be back out there (even though it was cold), and I hope to increase my weekly frequency as well as my mileage. Anyway, it got me to thinking I should recap my running like I did some of my other hobbies.

Last year I didn't really set a hard and fast goal for myself. I don't think I'm cut out to run a marathon, but I may look at trying a half-marathon this year. The most intimidating thing to me is not the physical exertion of running (although I know I'm not in shape enough for it yet). What bothers me is the sheer boredom of running for four hours. I guess that's why so many people carry iPods.

I log my runs at the Runner's World website. They have a free log that suits my purposes just fine. I'm sure there are many others, probably some better, but I don't need much. Unfortunately, it's difficult to pull useful stats. I can't even say how many miles I ran last year.

My average pace seems to hover right around 8:45/mile. That's not bad, but I'm disappointed that it doesn't appear to have changed over the course of the year. So, this year I will make it an actual goal to get that time down. Let's say 8:00 a mile, by this time next year.

I ran in five different 5Ks last year, so that's pretty good. They're just for fun, not competition, but it is nice to get an official time on a measured course. I wouldn't mind doing a few more this year, but I think five is fine. However, I will set a goal for myself to run at least one 10K this year.

Looking at my stats, I'm surprised to see that June was the month I ran the most in, with about 55 miles. I would have thought the heat would keep me back. Next most were October, then December. The trick for the coming year will be to get back to a solid schedule and make sure I run at least four times a week. I should also make a bigger effort to get in a longer run each week.

Okay, that's it. Not a very exciting post, but it was more just for my own benefit. It's a good idea to have goals in writing, and even more intimidating to have them in public where people can check you on them. The Houston Marathon is coming up in the next week or so. I'm nowhere near that level today, but I'm curious to see how I'll feel about it in a year.

1 comment:

Jeff Myers said...

I've been trying work on my overall health since the start of the year, and I just started working with a "couch to 5k" app on my iPhone.

I'm much closer to the couch than the 5k, but I guess I have to start somewhere.

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks