Thursday, November 4, 2010

Great Pumpkin Fun Run


This post is a little overdue, but I've had lots of other things going on in my life the last couple of weeks. This will just be a quick post anyway.

For the first time in many months, I ran another fun run. I like these little 5K runs because it's casual, quick, and makes me feel like I've accomplished something so that I don't feel guilty for laying on the couch drinking beer and watching movies for the rest of the day. Not that I ever do that, of course.

My stats this time were:
  • Time: 26:26; Pace: 8:30
  • Overall position: unknown, out of probably 1,200
  • Men's 40-44 position: 27 out of 74 (36.5%)
That's a good pace, especially compared to my last race. I know for sure that I run faster in colder weather (which I think is true for all runners).

Unfortunately, on the last little hill before the finish line, I did something funky to my right knee. Actually, I did it while running about a week before, but I had not felt it again until this race. For the most part, it doesn't really hurt when I'm walking or running. But from time to time, I'll get a sharp twinge that nearly takes my leg out. I'm hoping that a few days of rest will give it time to work itself out. Could it be I'm actually starting to get old!? Oh no!

Karen ran as well, but we split up right after crossing the starting line (which, frustratingly for me, was about 2:30 minutes after the starting gun because we were so far back). Usually, she has a friend she can run with at her slower pace, but we forgot to coordinate this time. On the way to the race, this really frustrated her. However, by the end of the race she was very happy about it. "I didn't have to chat or anything, I could just focus on running!" she said. Now maybe she'll understand my perspective a little and won't give me a hard time for running on ahead at my pace. Either way, we both had fun.

We're gearing up for the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. In Houston, you never know whether it's going to be warm or cold for that one, but it should be fun either way.

2 comments:

Mark Johnson said...

Very cool, Greg. I like reading the running reports. My best in a 5K is at a 9:00 pace. Tomorrow I'm running the local half-marathon again, where my best is a very modest 2:26:08 (11 minute pace).

Gregarius said...

Thanks, Mark.

I'm impressed and jealous of your long-distance running. I just don't have the mental capacity to run for that long. Do you listen to music or podcasts when you run?

Good luck on the half-marathon!

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks