Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tired of Running

Cinderella's name roughly translates as "she of the cinders." Cinders, as in soot, because she was poor and dirty from cleaning all the time (Speaking of which, what's the difference between "dirt poor" and "filthy rich"?). Something that started negative has come to represent beauty. I wonder if that's the same origin of Ashley and Nicole?

Yes, with a random opening though like that, this must be a post about running. I basically took the month of August off from running because it was just so dang hot. I wish I had just opted to accept a slower pace rather than cut it out completely. The weather is getting tolerable in the mornings again, and my body has been aching to get back out there. Unfortunately, that month off has really taken its toll.

This morning I ran 3 miles in 27:29, right at 9:10 minutes a mile. That's not bad, really. And that does include approximately one minute for puppy duty, and another two minutes that I spent walking/resting. The real problem was how tired I was during and after! Even though my muscles were pining for the activity, they apparently didn't realize they weren't as ready as they used to be.

My goal this year was to average under an 8:00 minute mile. I could probably do that if I only ran a mile, but I currently run three and would like to get up to five at least three times a week. That month off makes me feel like I'm starting all over from scratch.

The other good thing about this part of the year is the increase in 5K races in the fall. Those are usually a good motivator for me, so hopefully I'll sign up for one soon.

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks