Monday, March 1, 2010

Seriously

So, I haven't posted for a while, but unlike usual, it wasn't due to laziness.

Two weeks ago, a very close and dear friend of the family passed away quite unexpectedly. Fred Griesbach was 80 years old, but he was in better shape than most men 20 years younger. He was full of life, extremely kind, and a friend to all who knew him. I've known him almost all of my life, and I will certainly miss him.

I was hesitant to write anything about his passing. I was worried that my tongue-in-cheek (but 100% true) eulogy for my Jeep would cheapen anything else I wrote here. In truth, he probably would have laughed in support over that post. He was one of the first to console me for my loss.

Yesterday I was visiting with my family. I had a big bottle of St. Bernardus Abt. 12 that I had bought specifically to share with Fred (we shared a passion for beer). Instead, I poured it among my family and offered a toast. Not five minutes later, Fred's daughter Sally called. We immediately invited her over to share our lunch, and again we toasted her father. It was a good day. We ate barbecue outside, my father got some exercise and sunshine, and we all laughed and shared stories of Mr. Griesbach. I think that's exactly how he would have wanted it.

Ich möchte einen Toast auf Frederick Griesbach ausbringen!

Dem Leben sind Grenzen gesetzt, die Liebe ist grenzenlos.

Prost!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Greg. Dad always spoke about you "Perch". He thought so much of you and your family and was very concerned with your father's health prior to his passing.

Dad loved your birthday parties at the brewery. We need to get together some time soon and chat.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

I hope you and your family are doing well.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Thank you Greg. Dad always spoke about you "Perch". He thought so much of you and your family and was very concerned with your father's health prior to his passing.

Dad loved your birthday parties at the brewery. We need to get together some time soon and chat.

Thank you so mych for your kindness.

I hope you and your family are doing well.

Tom

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks