Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Oh My Stars

What's in a rating? I use three different sites regularly that give me the opportunity to rate different things: Goodreads for books, Netflix for movies, and Boardgamegeek for games. I like rating things. The problem is that I always feel compelled to use the guidelines for these ratings, and that's where I have a problem.

Let's start with Goodreads. It's a great online community for book readers. It has a good interface, an extensive database, and a lot of active reviewers. I repost all of my reviews here on my blog. But when it comes to rating a book, their star system bothers me.

Here's the mouse-over text for each level of rating:
  1. Didn't like it
  2. It was ok
  3. Liked it
  4. Really liked it
  5. It was amazing

First off, what if I absolutely hated the book? No option available. Secondly, there are three positive, one neutral, and only one negative option. In my mind, zero stars should be available for something you really hated. That wouldn't balance it out completely, but it would help. Also, how does one distinguish between a four- and a five-star book?

Here's Netflix:
  1. Hated it
  2. Didn't like it
  3. Liked it
  4. Really liked it
  5. Loved it

This list is better because it offers two degrees of dislike. But the three star rating right in the middle is still positive rather than neutral. However, I like that the top rating is "loved it" rather than "amazing." Amazing just seems like a really high bar to meet, whereas "loved it" feels perfectly subjective.

Since neither of these offer "half stars," they're both scales of five. To me, ideally they should be two negative, one neutral, and one positive. But I can see how no one would see three stars as a neutral review.

But onto Boardgamegeek. Here, it's a scale of 10, using numbers instead of stars.
  1. Defies description of a game. You won't catch me dead playing it. Clearly broken.
  2. Extremely annoying game, won't play this ever again.
  3. Likely won't play this game again although could be convinced. Bad.
  4. Not so good, it doesn't get me but could be talked into it on occasion.
  5. Average game. Slightly boring. Take it or leave it.
  6. Ok game, some fun or challenge at least, will play sporadically if in the right mood.
  7. Good game, usually willing to play.
  8. Very good game. I like to play. Probably I will suggest it and will never turn down a game.
  9. Excellent game. Always want to play it.
  10. Outstanding. Always want to play and expect this will never change.

The main problem with all of these descriptions is the inclusions of absolute words like "always" and "never." How could anyone know what their tastes would be in a few years, or on a particular day?

In comparison with the other rating systems, this one is interesting because it seems to have three positives, three neutrals, and three negatives. That's pretty balanced, but the problem becomes choosing between similar pairs, like 3/4, 5/6, or 9/10. I have a friend who only uses even numbers to rate, thus reducing this to a scale of five. There are many others (myself included, I'm sad to say), who actually enter numbers like 7.5, turning this into a 20-point scale. I need to go through and fix all of those, though. No more fence sitting; if I like a game, I should say so!

Anyway, what was the point of this whole exercise? I'm not sure. I just find it interesting that something subjective like a rating has been given restrictive objective guidelines. This wouldn't be a problem at all if I could bring myself to just ignore the text and rate things how I want. Unfortunately, that would render my rating less meaningful for those who saw it and didn't know my personal scale. So I guess the lesson is: always read the actual review and not just the number of stars.

2 comments:

The Smarch said...

I switched from GoodReads to LibraryThing primarily because of the availability of "half-stars".

Gregarius said...

That's interesting. I actually started on LibraryThing and moved to GoodReads.

I had heard that LibraryThing limited the size of your library after a certain point. I doubt I've reached that point yet, but I didn't like the idea of having to switch over later.

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks