Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Literary Meme

A friend tagged me with the following literary meme

The rules:
1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

Hey, if you're gonna steal, might as well steal it all, right? Actually, this friend has tagged me several times, and this is the first time I've responded. I'll get around to those others eventually, but this one was simple and interesting enough to get me off my butt and post. Anyway, on to my quote:

"Bricusse's treatment surmounted one major hurdle when it received the enthusiastic approval of Hugh Lofting's widow, who called his work 'a complete surprise...he has caught the spirit of the Doctor himself. The lyrics are...right in the vernacular of Dolittle. I predict nothing but success.'"

From Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Holllywood by Mark Harris.

I'm really loving the library right now. I don't know why I've ignored this fabulous resource for so long. I've loved picking up cheap books at thrift stores for years, but more often than not they go unread. Sure they're intriguing, but they are usually just whims. Now that I can get on the library website and request a book, everything is so much easier. And I'm reading books that I want to read, not just that I happened to find for 50 cents.

1 comment:

choral_composer said...

Interesting quote - I assume it's refering to the original Dr. Doolittle? I loved those books when I was a kid :)

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks