Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Running

Hoo boy. I just got back from running in Memorial Park. The track is roughly 3 miles, and that's about all I've ever wanted to run. I say this now with full confidence-- if I ever seriously entertain the thought, or even suggest, that I would like to run a marathon, you are fully authorized to shoot me. Don't get me wrong, I like to run-- even when I'm as out of shape for it as I am now. But the very idea of running for more than an hour, let alone 6 to 8, is the sign of a diseased mind.

Anyway, I'm sure there are better sites available for logging run times and tracking progress, but I don't feel like looking for one right now. So, I'll just list it here until I find a better venue.

Time running before resting: 13:36
Total time for 3 miles: 36:28

I have to admit I'm totally shocked by that second number. The last time I ran (about a month ago) my time was 40 something (I know because it was still on my watch). I would have been happy if my time was as good as 43 today. I certainly didn't expect to improve by 4 minutes.

One of my first goals would be to eliminate that first number. It may be a while, but I really need to be able to run the full 3 miles without making walking breaks. Today I had two, one for 5 minutes and another for 7 minutes. The second goal would be to improve that second time. I would love to get it under 30, but I don't expect that to happen for a long time.

My overall goals for running are multiple:
1. Improve fitness. I don't consider myself unhealthy, but I don't get nearly enough exercise and I would like to feel I could easily participate in vigorous exercise without having a heart attack or being out of breath in the first two minutes.
2. Lose weight. I'm a big fan of beer, and my diet isn't exactly the healthiest. That, plus the inevitable toll of age, has produced a bit of a gut. A paunch, if you will. I'm a pretty skinny guy, so it looks even worse on me. I know that running alone won't eliminate it, but it certainly will help.
3. Run 5Ks. I used to really enjoy running in "Fun Runs" or what have you. It was social, usually for a good cause, you got a t-shirt, and often you could gauge your time against other runners. When I first started running in my 20s, it had been a goal to actually win a 5K. I'm not so ambitious now, but I would at least like to see how I fare against others.

Yeesh, that's a long post. I sure do tend to ramble. That's enough for now. I'm about a third of the way through updating the L.A. Newsletters. I'm starting to question the wisdom of posting material that's 5 years old, but I wanted to have it for my own records. New posts and reviews will be coming soon.

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks